Cheddar Cheese Biscuits

June 9, 2009

Cheddar Biscuits

The last time I made biscuits I was quite taken aback by the results. How could biscuits be soft on the inside? Here, cookies equal biscuits, so I just could not fathom why biscuits elsewhere would be any different. I was a little upset because I had followed the recipe to the T, yet they didn’t turn out to be quite like I’d imagined (from Jill O’Connor’s Sticky Chewy, Messy Gooey). So, when I went to the States a few months ago, one of the things on my agenda was to try some Southern style biscuits. When I had them, I was RELIEVED! My biscuits were just fine by this definition.

Cheddar Biscuits

Today I had some cheese at hand – extra sharp cheddar, even! These drop biscuits were so, so easy to make. The baking in the oven is the only thing that takes up the time. Mix the dry ingredients together, slice in the butter, blend in the grated cheese, bind it together with liquids, spoon them on a Silpat and bake for 15 minutes. Brush with butter and they’re done!

Cheddar Cheese Biscuits

These biscuits were sumptuous. Salty and cheesy with a hint of garlic, these were so good that my dad asked me to make him another batch. And these are certainly not something that would normally be categorised under his type of foods. So the fact that he asked for me turned out to be the ultimate compliment. I know I will be baking another batch pretty soon.

They taste best when served warm, fresh out of the oven. But in case you are left with some and they’re sitting out for a couple of hours, just refresh them by gently heating them in the oven for 2-3 minutes.

The only thing I’d do a little differently is add some more garlic powder or maybe even fresh garlic for a more pronounced garlicky flavour. Yum.

Cheddar Biscuits

Cheddar Cheese Biscuits Recipe

Adapted from: Food and Whine
Yield: 12 large biscuits or 18 small ones

2 cups/250g all-purpose flour (unbleached or regular)
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup/75g butter, cold, cut into chunks
2 Tbsp. canola or any flavourless, odourless vegetable oil
1 heaping cup/ 6-7 oz. /150-170g grated cheddar cheese (sharp flavoured is best, I used extra sharp)
1/2 – 2/3 cup or 120-160ml milk (I didn’t need more than 1/2 a cup)

For brushing on top:
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes or 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder.
  2. Add the cubed butter. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut butter into flour until it is coarse, pea-sized (doesn’t need to be fine).
  3. Add oil, grated cheddar cheese and the milk. Stir till well combined and holds together.
  4. Make sure to keep adding milk a bit at a time, just until the dough is moistened and you can no longer see any raw flour.
  5. Drop approximately 1/4 cup portions of the dough onto an un-greased cookie sheet or a Silpat using an ice cream scoop or large spoon.
  6. Bake for 15-17 minutes in a preheated oven at 400F/.
  7. While biscuits are baking, melt 3 tablespoons butter is a small bowl with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and the parsley.
  8. When biscuits come out of the oven, use a brush to spread this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Do this a few times – it’s fun to watch all the butter getting absorbed into the biscuit! Use up all of the butter. Serve warm.

{ 128 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Robyn November 18, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I made these last nite and they are absolutley fabulous!! The only thing I changed out (as it just isn’t in my nature to follow a recipe to the letter) was the parsley….I used a healthy tablespoon of fresh cilantro. I am a cook-aholic and these biscuits are officially a part of my repertoire! Merci beaucoup!

2 Anonymous December 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM

You didn’t say what size glass baking dish , what size portions, or how many people it will feed.

3 Kati December 10, 2010 at 12:03 AM

She says 12 large/24 small biscuits, bake on a cookie sheet, and 1/4 c size dollops of batter, what else do you need to know?

These are currently baking. Can’t wait to eat them while I study :)

4 The Purple Foodie December 10, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Wish I could “Like” this comment, like on Facebook. =)

5 The Yummy Queen November 20, 2011 at 2:28 AM

^^^ *Like* :)

6 Deb December 9, 2011 at 5:44 AM

@ anon…..if you’ve ever watched Food Network’s “Worst Cooks” show, you’ll notice that both pro chefs that are trying to teach these people to ALWAYS read the entire recipe first!! (They’re almost banging their heads in frustration cause these people don’t read or listen very well either). It’s true: if you read thru all of it first you’ll answer many of your own questions. If that doesn’t help, read it again and again if you have to. I always do and then organize my ingredients while the oven is pre-heatinng. I guarantee your cooking or baking will go much smoother with less stress and more success and you’ll look like a pro with your ingrediants out and organized before you start!!. I even check things off as I go. Good luck!!

7 nena December 11, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I have searched….well more like scoured, for a decent biscuit recipe. When I found this web site, I was more than over joyed, when the first thing on your recipe wasn’t Bisquik! Lol.
I made this recipe for my daughter’s tea party and I was very happy with them…as was everybody else They were light and soft inside, and nice and crispy on the outside…..yup, this recipe is staying with me!

8 Liz July 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I love your comment that you were relieved the first ingredient wasn’t bisquick!! That’s exactly what drew me to this recipe!

9 Christina January 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Well, it’s about four in the morning my time (I’m an insomniac) and I’ve just made these. Dear LORD they are a ridiculously good midnight (er, early EARLY morning) snack.
Anyhow.
I had an unheard of amount of gouda cheese that I decided to use instead of the cheddar. I would’ve added lemon, but somehow we’re out (we don’t even have a single lime; I’m scandalized). Which is kind of blasphemous, but whatever. Just wanted to say that using gouda was a good decision, although I will have to try this with cheddar.

10 Tracey January 13, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Ooh! I am making these tonight to go w/homemade turkey soup! I too am thrilled that no Bisquick is involved!!

11 sue October 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

thank you can’t wait to eat these and yes thank you for not using bisquick….hate that stuff…lol my husband even says thank you and appreciates the recipes…thank you and keep doing what you do..helps a busy mother of four and wife happy.

12 Monique Funk January 13, 2011 at 7:44 AM

I made these for my husband and son earlier this evening. They loved them. Very simple recipe with easily accessible ingredients. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

13 MiMi January 14, 2011 at 6:08 AM

I have a cookbook I purchased with recipes “supposedly” of all the popular foods at national popular restaurants. I have tried the “copycat” recipe for the Red Lobster Cheddar Cheese biscuits several times, as they never tasted as I thought they should.

I came across your recipe this morning and was elated it did not contain Bisquik!!!! I was having a simple dinner tonight (Spanish Rice w/Ground Chuck) and made your recipe. Delicious…just what I wanted them to taste like and I changed nothing in your original recipe. A “keeper” for me.

14 Kaye January 21, 2011 at 3:02 AM

These are beyond yummy. I tried a recipe from another site and it came out too salty, but these are amazing. I made them to go with baked Fish and just couldn’t put these down. :-)

15 scmom January 27, 2011 at 4:13 AM

LOVE THESE BISCUITS! Thank you for the recipe!!! I found the recipe last week and have made them 3 times already! More in the oven right now……

16 Amanda March 7, 2011 at 5:16 AM

I’ve been hunting online all over for a biscuit recipe that doesn’t involve bisquik, buttermilk or shortening and this is the only one I can find! Thanks bunches!

17 The Purple Foodie March 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM

You’re very welcome! :)

18 maisa March 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM

all what i can say about it is just woooooooooooow
even my son who is so hard to satisfy ,,, is eating it hot not even warm

19 Kate April 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Delicious and easy! I didn’t have any baking powder so I substituted with greek yogurt and a little baking soda and reduced the amount of milk. They came out perfect, a cheddar biscuit dream. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I will definitely be using it again!

20 Rebecca May 8, 2011 at 6:43 AM

Can I use olive oil instead of canola or vegetable oil?

21 The Purple Foodie May 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Absolutely!

22 Jim 'Carnie Guy' June 13, 2011 at 5:01 AM

I do not have a website. I’m to mobile, folllowing the carnivals! I just do not understand why the majority of the people responding to user given recipes feel compelled to write, ” I followed your recipe, except I added or changed”, or whatever. Try the original! That’s the intention of the person giving it! I tried your biscuit recipe, as written, and LOVED it! Changed nothing! Thank you VERY much for taking the time and thouight to put it out to us! ‘Keep On Cooking’.

23 Rebecca June 13, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Sometimes people don’t have certain ingredients, so they have to modify it. I used olive oil for my biscuits and they were SO GOOD, like serioiusly I am using this recipe everytime I make biscuits, my whole family loved them.

24 Jim (Carnie Guy) June 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Rebecca,
Understood very well. Actually, the oil difference makes only a slightly different flavor, most probably not readily discernable. My comment was not pointed to those persons that substitute out of need. I remarked about the over 80% of the people that ‘changed’ or ‘adjusted’ the entire intent of the personal recipe, without paying a chance to the author and thier original recipe. I feel to do this, is rather snobbish and assuming, and to write about it, is very unkind!

25 Mimi June 17, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Jim—–I TOTALLY agree with you. I never have been able to understand why people change a recipe BEFORE they try the original recipe. My goodness – give the original recipe a chance first. I LOVED the recipe just the way it was written and changed absolutely nothing. Yummy!

26 Kenna September 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Jim, I’m going to be making these here in a moment and guess what? I’m changing the recipe. I was looking for a jalapeno & cheese biscuit recipe, but since I couldn’t find one that sounded good, I’m going to look for a recipe I can use for a base & modify. It’s not meant as a discredit to the author, else I wouldn’t use their recipe as a base. I don’t understand people who think it’s rude to do this – it’s called cooking.

Thank you for the recipe, Purple Foodie!

27 The Purple Foodie September 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Reply from Jim:
“Kenna,
I am sorry you missed hat I actually said. It is certainly cooking to modify a recipe. As you well know. Waht I said is people who find a shared recipe, change it the first time they try it, and then go on line and say, “Thanks for the recipe, the ONLY changes I made to it were changed the butter, using low calorie oil instead with half unsweetened appple sauce, omitted the cinnamon and vanilla, tripled the salt, and topped it with two cups of ‘baby marshmallowa’. It turned out GREAT and my family and friends made me make it exactly that way for the next seventeen Holidy gatherings”!
My self, other than baking, rarely use a recipe. Even baking, I most times only pause just prior to beginning and think of the best proportion of ingredients I’ll need, considering the amoun of finished diesh I am making, to get the results I want.
I applaud and encourage you to make changes to things based on personal liking, knowledge of ingredients and the fufilling smiles and encouragement you receive when sharing the fruits of your labor with family and friends! As we said in the fabulous ‘sixties’, “Keep On Truck’in”. Jim”

Jim, next time please come over to the site and reply to the comment. Nobody but I can see your email replies. :)

28 Mangal June 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Hi,i came across this site thru the news paper. I am totally passionate bout bakin n simply enjoy tryin out new bakin recipes.tried out the banana nutella muffin n the cheese cookie. Totally awesome.can u post a recipe for a eggless sponge that i can use for fresh cream
Icing.thanks.

29 Jim (Carnie Guy) June 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Mangal,
OK, just what is it you are looking for? An ‘eggless sponge’. as in cake, you’ll have a hard time of doing it without egg whites. And the fresh cream icing is also a bit of a difficulty. with fresh cream. It is usually more of a topping, rather than an icing, which will ‘stand up’ for quite a period of time without melting or weeping.
Jim

30 mangal June 21, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Thanks Jim,
what i am looking for is an eggless cake,spongy enough to give it a butter cream,fresh cream or ganache frosting.I have tried using milkmaid but am not very happy with the results.Hmmmm,i guess cant beat the eggs to get me a good sponge cake. :)

31 The Purple Foodie September 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM

(Jim replied to the comment in email instead of posting here)

Mangal,
There are some recipes out ‘there’ fog eggless cake, including sponge. If you search on http://www.dogpile.com, eggless sponge cake recipe, you will find some. They have pictures, however real, that look nice. I have never tried to make one, but from appearances, they would ‘hold’ a butter creme or other icing as long as they are completely cooled prior to applting it. A lot of the recipes for it appear, from the names/addresses to be, of ‘Eastern’, Indian and Pakistani origin. A couple of the websites have very large, intriguing recipe collections. Are you a vegetarian? I have quite a few friends that are, and I find it very interesting. I am not, but I try to maintain a healthy diet. I will eat the fat on grilled meat, all of it!, and then for the next several days, consume no meat, drink skim milk and water, etc. I find that ready thought of what I eat keeps me constant, without any drastic changes in diet.
Oh well, so much for that, lest it become an intolerable tome! If you try one of the eggless recipes, please let me know how it rendered itself. I may try to do a twist on an creme style cake this weekend, just to see if I can come up with something worth working with.Have fun, and keep cooking, whatever you do!
Jim

32 Margaret July 10, 2011 at 1:05 AM

These were great! I’m staying at a friends’ house and cooked dinner for them on a whim. I needed something jazzier than my regular baking powder biscuits and came across these – WOW! They were great and so quick to put together. I’m not big on drizzled butter so I skipped that part but added some parsley to the biscuits before I baked. I also was not able to find a cheese grater in their kitchen so just sliced into the tiniest chunks I could. They came out fantastic anyway and I got rave reviews. There was some leftover dough so I made them into little biscuits and put in their freezer to bake another time. When they tell me how they turn out I’ll repost. Thanks again for a great recipe!

33 Savannah Burkett July 20, 2011 at 3:17 AM

This as my first time making home made biscuits – I don’t mind regular ones but I wanted to add flavor to them, thus searching for Cheese Biscuit. They’re amazing! My fiance and I just about ate them all up in about a half hour (I made home made alfredo sauce with ziti pasta). I made 14 big ones, this is hands down the only biscuit recipe I will use :)

34 Priya July 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I tried your cheesy biscuits. They were fantastic.simple and delicious.my 3yr old enjoyed making and eating them.I used some star cookie cutters for her and they were brilliant.
Thank you for the recipe.

35 Sayri July 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Like comments above, Thank you so incredibly much for this recipe!
Being married to an American and living in Europe I despaired at finding recipes for his favourite things always required Bisquik or other “cake-from-a-box” style mixes.

He absolutely loved these, so thank you!! <3

36 Sharon August 6, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Thanks you so, so much for this recipe! I have tried two other cheese biscuit recipes in order to prepare for my sister-in-law’s baby shower and these are so much better than the other two recipes and even easier to make! Wonderful! Thanks much!

37 Raquel August 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM

My daughter woke up this morning asking for buscuits. I found this recipe and decided to try it because it sounded delicious and I had all the ingredients. Im so glad I tried it. These buscuits are delicious! My kids are eating them up right now. I will definitely be makin these again. Thanks for the recipe!!

38 Ty August 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM

This is probably an old post but THANKS. My husband loves some garlic-cheddar biscuits from a restaurant here and these are BETTER.

I added in a bit of parmesan cheese, fresh crushed garlic in addition to the powder, and used buttermilk. SOOOOO good. :)

39 Abby August 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Wow, these were incredible! Tasty, soft and didn’t taste like flour. I buy Red Lobster biscuits once in a blue moon when I crave them, but I will probably never do that again. I’m adding these to my fav recipes.

40 wewantsunshine September 1, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I made a variation of these with emmental, parmesan and chives (instead of cheddar and garlic).
I’m certainly no baking-whizz, but they turned out AMAZING the first time around!! Which clearly means the recipe is GOLD :-D
Thanks a mil !!

41 Kyul September 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I just finished making this recipe, and it is amazing! I Followed it almost exactly, only substituting a three-cheese blend instead of sharp cheddar, and Herbes de Provence instead of parsley (I am out of the other ingredients). After a history of unsuccessful baking attempts, I pleasantly surprised my mom with her favorite biscuits! Thank you so much!

42 Teri Cloud October 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I volunteered to make “cheese biscuits” for a fundraising event (it was the only option left!) and I was nervous because 1. I had never make cheese biscuits and 2. I am just not a very good cook and 3. Cheese biscuits do not sound that appealing to me. Wow was I glad I found this recipe! These biscuits were the HIT of the party and went well before any of the other cheese biscuits. I was so proud and my husband and kids (the test tasters!) now always ask for them. I love the garlic topping too– really delicious! Thanks for sharing ! :)

43 Jess October 18, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Made this tonight because its fall and I loved the combo of ingredients, had to cook off some of the liquid longer than the recipe indicated and ended up adding 2 tbs of corn starch, this is likely my fault from adding too much water at the second step But ultimately lamb and squash are both on sale at my local market, and this was a wonderful recipe that combined them. The flavors were awesome and there was nothing I would do different other than a thickening of the stew…..might experiment with a pumpikin porter instead of water

44 Tara November 3, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Hi,

Can’t wait to have a go at this recipe! If I wanted to make a big batch for others, how long would they keep if stored and what would be the best way to store them?
I’m thinking homemade chutney’s and cheese buscuits for Christmas gifts!

Many thanks

45 The Purple Foodie November 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Aaah, this is the kind of recipe that’s best consumed fresh. I’m not sure how they’ll hold up but I suggest you try an experimental batch now to see how it goes. Do share how it works out for you. : )

46 Kenna November 5, 2011 at 12:02 AM

I have made a 5xbatch and froze them three times now, they are just as good frozen and baked as they are fresh. Just make up the recipe as follows, form the biscuits on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and put in the freezer for at least 4-6 hours. (This is so they don’t stick together while frozen!) Then put in a freezer bag (I used our Foodsaver here) and store. Add 8 minutes to the bake time when baking frozen biscuits. Perfect. :)

47 Megha December 3, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Dear Shaheen,

Can i use Amul cheddar…which i dont think is 100% cheddar….will the effect be same??

thanks

48 Danny K December 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM

These were very good and are now a part of my home recipes . Although i cut the salt to 3/4 tsp.And used fresh parsley from my garden.there fantastic.Much better then Bisquick
Thanks

49 Mj December 14, 2011 at 2:09 AM

These were so delicious. I made them to go with chili tonight and even my 7 yr old and 9 yr old children enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing :) mj

50 Carla L. December 14, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Made these biscuits to accompany our beef barley soup and they were fantastic! They were so easy to make and tasted so good. I had to use more milk than required but just added a little at a time until moist. I will surely make these again.

51 Tara December 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for the tip on freezing the mix Kenna, it worked a treat!
I agree with Danny K on reducing the amount of salt, as they were a little toooo salty for my liking. Or could swap salted butter for unsalted instead.

Very tasty! Definitely my new fave!

52 ElizabethMD January 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM

OK so this is the second time I am making this recipe :D I love them so much. The first time was for a dinner I was going too and they were gone within 5 mins. Tonight they are just for me and mine, so maybe this time I will actually get some :D

53 Jamie January 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM

These were awesome and so easy to make. My kids absolutely loved them. I pinned them on Pinterest and gave your website credit. :)

54 Laurence Measey January 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM

This is a fine recipe and one that I enjoy as it is quick and adaptable. I served these biscuits as part of refreshments after a meeting and they all went- you should have made more said some. The only sour note was from a woman who makes traditional hard biscuits who stated that I had made scones and not good ones at that!

55 Amber January 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I make these all the time using Tillamook Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar. My family and friends love them!

56 DennyDustin March 17, 2012 at 5:47 AM

These biscuits are ridiculously easy to make. These are perfect for a leisurely weekend breakfast or brunch. Thanks a lot for sharing this cheddar cheese biscuits recipe.

57 mildred March 25, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I just made them and they r u yummy

58 Deonia April 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Laurence Measey, dont pay any attention to the lady who told you you had made scones,” and not good ones at that”. She was just jealous because everyone loved them and she was not in the spotlight. I would bet she was an elderly lady who usually got all the compliments when offering her goodies. It’s a shame she couldn’t have chosen to be kind ,instead of right ( in her mind).

59 K April 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

These are SO GOOD!!! I am very exited because I am probably the worst cook in the whole world and end up burning EVERYTHING or making them taste terrible but this was simple, easy and delicious!!!!

60 Katie May 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM

These sound delicious! I’m stealing them for my Hunger Games themed birthday party. (Peeta’s cheese buns)

61 Annie May 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Thank you so much for the easy and delicious biscuits. My toddler son and my husband loved these biscuits so much that I have to make more today. They could not stop eating them. Your recipe is so so easy and does not require any items which one would not necessarily have at home. I am not a great chef and nor do I like spending too much time in cooking but I always look for new things to try and recipes which are not complicated. I love this recipe and no more buying the pre-made biscuits for my family. Thank you and great job.

62 Shannon May 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Just made these biscuits, absolutely delicious. We can’t quit eating them. I added a bit more garlic and had to cook for twenty minutes but so worth it. Thank you for the recipe!

63 the schofield kid June 3, 2012 at 2:45 AM

So Good…Thank God for tastebuds

64 Carletta August 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I made these biscuits twice already and they are awesome! The 1st time, I followed recipe to the letter. I found that less salt (about 1/2 tsp) is better for me (as the cheese and butter has salt in them). Also I added some caynne pepper to flour mix – for some kick. So glad no Bisquick was involved. Everything is better when it’s homemade! Thanks Purple Foodie!

65 N September 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I have made these so many times now! I live with 6 roommates and whenever I make them, they’re gone within half an hour — I have become known for being the girl who bakes biscuits all the time :D

Thank you so much for the recipe!

66 Shaheen October 2, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Thank you so much for letting me know :)

67 Pip October 27, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Yummy, I just made a second batch and sliced some vegemite through it for aussie rendition…yum