Here’s the recipe for the versatile vanilla bean meringues. Grab a copy of the Feb ’13 issue to get all the meringue recipes and lots more.
Vanilla Bean Meringue Cookies
Yield: 70-80 little cookies
240g / 8oz. caster sugar + 1tbsp for the vanilla
120g / 4 oz. egg whites
2 vanilla beans
- Preheat the oven to 100ºC.
- Split and scrape the vanilla bean and rub the innards with a tablespoon of the sugar so that the vanilla seeds are evenly dispersed.
- Begin whisking the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until it is slightly foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time (or in a slow, steady stream) until all the sugar is incorporated.
- Continue to whisk for 7-8 minutes on high speed until the meringue is glossy, and forms firm peaks.
- Whisk in the vanilla sugar.
- Transfer to a piping bag with a plain tip nozzle No. 8 or 10 and pipe onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on the size you’ve piped).
Note: To calculate the number of eggs to crack, use this measure as a thumb rule: 1 egg weighs 50g, 20g yolk and 30g white. So for this recipe, you’ll need approximately 4 eggs. Also, the conversions to the Imperial system aren’t exact for the sake of convenience – as long as a 2:1 ration for sugar and whites is maintained, the recipe will work just fine.